Prescription for a Great Life

When we opened Cumming Strength and Fitness, our purpose wasnt about producing elite athletes to compete at the CrossFit Games.

And it still isn

Yes, we want you improving your fitness and hitting PRs regularly, but our mission is so much bigger than that.

Our intention has, and always will be, to help others achieve lifelong fitness. To help the 40-year-old feel confident and fit enough to join a basketball league. Or to help the overweight woman in her 50s get to a point that carrying four bags of groceries up three flights of stairs is no big deal. And to help the 65-year-old improve her fitness so she can go on a 4-hour hike with her grandchildren, or move a couch with her husband.

Fitness was never supposed to be about how much you could clean and jerk, per se; its about helping ordinary people gain fitness, eat well, and become healthier.

Not that a 225 lb. snatch wouldnt be pretty cool

This means our hope for all of you is that fitness doesnt take over your life. We hope it has become an important part of your life, but that you also take the time to appreciate your newfound fitness IN LIFE.

In light of this, were part of a global business group called the MadLab Group, and together our group has come up with a Prescription for a Great Life. Follow it and your fitness, happiness, and overall life will improve (at least we think so).

Prescription for a Great Life

  1. Follow the Code for Fitness 2 to 3 times a week:

Show up to the gym 2 or 3 (or maybe even 4 or 5 times a week if it works for your life). Train with your coach or attend group classes to improve your flexibility, strength, speed, power, cardiovascular endurance, stamina, accuracy, balance, coordination and agility.

Keep track of your numbers, know your strengths and weaknesses, socialize with those around you, have fun and celebrate your gains.

Lifting weights is just part of the puzzle for a great life

2. Clean Eating (90% of the time):

Although diets will differ from person to person depending on your wants and needs, we believe for optimal health, your diet should consist mostly of whole, unprocessed foods90% of the time. The other 10% simply means its OKemotionally healthy evento have a beer or a piece of cake from time to time.

3. Play Sports

Join an indoor soccer or basketball league in the winter, or a tennis team in the summer: The important thing is to put your fitness to use. You work hard in the gym; playing sports is your chance to enjoy your newfound fitness.

And if youre feeling bold, try new sports when the opportunity arrisesbe it golf, tennis or surfing.

Ever tried Spike Ball?

4. Get out in Nature at Least Once a Week

Breathing fresh air in nature is known to be therapeutic to the soul. Rock climbing, hiking, camping, skiing or surfing are all great options.

5. Embark on an Adventure at Least Once a Year

Does adventure to you mean doing something relaxing and fun, or something scary and challenging?

Choose your own adventure, but definitely choose adventure!

Read more


WordPress Image Lightbox Plugin