While it is cold and rainy out this time of year we love to make a great chili or soup. We usually like to double batch it for lunches throughout the week as well. This is one of our favorites as it has some good carbs in sweet potatoes and is super easy to throw together. If you are looking for a lower fat option, substitute out the beef for ground turkey….it still rocks.
- 2 lbs. hamburger
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large can (29.5 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 5 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4-5 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- dash of oregano
- dash of red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, brown hamburger, onions and garlic. Drain off the fat. Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Mix well, bring to a boil and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Slow Cooker Option: Instead of simmering the chili on the stove, you can brown the ground beef, add the other ingredients, then put it all in your crockpot and let it simmer on low all day (6-8 hours) or on high for 4-5 hours.
You can find the full recipe at: http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/2014/09/24/paleo-sweet-potato-chili/